Whether on a local, national, or an international scale, shipping and logistic systems play an important role in the economic systems. In most cases, the nature and efficiency of shipping and logistics relies mostly on cubing systems and related dimensioning technology that warehouses, logistics, shipping, and/or distribution centers use.
But what exactly are the innovations in cubing systems and dimensioning technology that have made these systems so essential?
When taken into perspective, innovative cubing systems and dimensioning technology focus on offering more efficient and cost-effective processes of scanning, weighing, and dimensioning certain packages, from small boxes to pallet freight shipments.
Through cubing and dimensioning systems, like the cubing systems at Dimensional Weighing, make it is easier to capture the dimension of packages, boxes and bags, and even those with non-cuboidal or irregular shapes. Many shipping companies and services require certain dimensional weight calculation on specific shipment types which can only be determined using cubing and dimensioning systems.
Current Innovations in Cubing & Dimensioning Technology
To make this process more efficient, here are some of the most advanced technological features associated with cubing systems and dimensioning technology.
- Static cubing systems – this type of system is ideal for inbound product cubing and is useful for all type of product levels including shapes that are non-cuboidal or irregular. Most of the time static cubic systems are more often used on IDing, weighing, and measuring small parcels.
- Motion-based cubing systems – this type of dimensioning system is more ideal for higher velocity applications which use conveyors. Motion based cubing systems are also well-known for their efficient dimensioning capabilities by automatically spacing items or parcels and their high speed and precise cubing system operation.
- Advanced in-motion cubing systems – just like motion based system, an advanced in-motion dimensioning system increases the efficiency and productivity of most distribution centers and warehouses. This is because, in-motion cubing systems uses more advanced measuring technology in the form of laser scanner for high accuracy dimensions.
- Overhead dimensioning systems – some dimensioning systems are placed overhead and automatically weighs and calculates a package’s dimension while it’s moving along a conveyor.
- Imaging dimensioning systems – there are new innovations of cubing systems nowadays that do not use a lot of moving parts. Instead, a 3D imaging system is used to capture package dimension and works well even with irregular shaped objects.
- Pallet cubing systems – another helpful dimensioning system is the pallet cubing system where pallet packages’ dimensions and weight are taken. Most of the time, this system uses an separate unit that can installed overhead, on the side of the wall, or over a pit scale by the floor stand.
- Large freight dimensioning systems – most of the time, warehouses and other similar facilities use laser scanner to accurately generate the dimensions and weight of large freight items. This type of dimensioning systems are also equipped to work even when the items are moving via a conveyor and can also be used on both indoor and outdoor operations.
The New Industry Standard
With the help of different cubing systems and dimensioning technology, shipping and logistic systems cost are reduced and at the same time allows for a shipping industry revenue.
Instead of using manual dimensioning systems, advanced technological cubing systems nowadays also make it possible for warehouses, shipping and distribution centers to handle a few thousand items daily and still ensure the accuracy of dimensional weighing and ID of each item.